Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
"Learning is the essential fuel for the leader, the source of high octane energy that keeps up the momentum by continually sparking new understanding, new ideas, and new challenges. It is absolutely indispensable under today's conditions of rapid change and complexity. Very simply, those who do not learn do not long survive as leaders.”
Warren Bennis and Burt Nanus, Leaders: The Strategies for Taking Charge
The purpose of the NUI Galway Clubs’ Leadership Development Programme is to:
· Develop Leadership and Management expertise among the Executive Officers of the Clubs
· Ensure the Clubs help themselves regarding their growth and development
· Complete proposals to galvanise learning
· Understand Strategic Thinking and ensure proposals are aligned to the future direction and development of their club
· Provide practical management and leadership insights which can be applied immediately
· Ensure more effective and active clubs
To maximise the impact of the Leadership Development Programme participants will work on a project specific for their club and will develop their Project plan and on completion of the programme present their plan to their fellow participants and to an assessment panel.
Features of the programme:
· As applicable to the individual clubs, the facilitative workshops will address relevant areas for the project.
· A mentor will be available to support the clubs
· Time will be provided at the end of each workshop to allow the team to apply what they learned in the workshop to their club project plan.
· The project will provide Executive Officers with a framework for developing their clubs on an ongoing basis.
Workshops: Mondays @ 6.30pm in MY243, Áras Moyola(except workshop 4 - @7pm)
Workshop 1: Oct 8th
Guest Speaker: Alan Kerrins see http://alankerinsprojects.org/about/our-story/
Workshop 1: Understand Leadership
• Management versus leadership
• Understand the Leadership Journey
• The dos and don’ts of effective leadership
• Step Back to Move Forward
• Dealing with the Urgency Addiction – don’t sacrifice what is important for what is urgent
Workshop 2: October 15th
Guest Speaker: Helen Ryan - Bio
Helen is the Chief Executive Officer of Creganna-Tactx Medical, a global supplier to the medical device industry, specializing in products and services for minimally invasive device solutions. She has over twenty years medical device industry experience across a large range of medical areas including vascular, airway, surgical and urology. Prior to joining Creganna-Tactx in 2003, she worked with Medtronic and Tyco Healthcare (Covidien) in Product Development and R&D functional management roles.
Helen has a Bachelor of Engineering from NUI Galway, a Masters in Project Management and has completed a Senior Executive Programme at Stanford University. Helen is a fellow of the Institute of Engineers of Ireland, a member of the governing body of NUI Galway, and a past Chair of the Irish Medical Devices Association.
Workshop 2: The Culture for Success
• Understand what values are
• Develop suitable values for your club
• Understand false beliefs and how they hold you back
Workshop 3: October 22nd
Guest Speaker: Gerry Hussey - Bio
Gerry Hussey has been working at the forefront of Elite sport across a range of international disciplines since graduating from Trinity College Dublin in 2003. His work with the Irish Olympic Boxing team has been well documented as one of the cornerstones behind their medal winning display at the Beijing Olympic Games 2008 and subsequent World and European success.
His work with the Munster Rugby team has been spoken about by a number of their key players. Gerry also works with some of Ireland’s top international athletes who have excelled at recent world and European Athletic championships.
Workshop 3: Strategy Development
• Have a clear grasp of the key components of a strategy:
• Vision, Mission, Core & Purpose and values
• Know how to align their team to best deliver on areas if the strategy that they have responsibility for.
Workshop 4: November 5th, 7pm
Workshop 4: Effective Communication and Presentation Skills
• Developing Active Listening skills & effective feedback
• Effective Communication is: How to consistently provide clarity
• You cannot, not communicate - what message are you giving
Workshop 5: November 12th
Guest Speaker: President Jim Browne
Workshop 5: Strategic Execution
• What is Strategic Execution
• Setting standards and committing to them
• Developing Trust and Perseverance
• Developing a winning mindset
Workshop 6: November 19th
Guest Speaker: TBA
Workshop 6: What makes winners
• A question & Answer session with a leading Irish Sports personality.
• Learning lessons from proven winners, how can you apply them to your sport, your club and your own personal goals
Presentations of Proposals: November 26th
• Each club presents outline club strategic plan
• Specific project to progress implementation of club strategy presented
• Questions and Answers
A partnership between Sports Clubs, ALIVE and NUI Galway Alumni Office
Aim: To develop leadership capacity in participating students and Sports Clubs in NUI Galway. To promote and develop sport and recreational activity
The “Sports Connect” programme has been designed to engage with University Sports club committees to establish what knowledge, skills and attitudes they have pertaining to University club development and participation and what knowledge, skills and attitudes they need to perform effectively within their Sports Clubs to achieve Sport Club longevity and increased participation. This programme will offer solutions and structures in providing longevity to the club, participation in numbers and excellence in performance.
2010 Alumni Leadership winners: Nuig Ladies Hockey Club.
2011 Alumni Leadership winners: NUIG Boxing Club.
2012 Alumni Leadership winners: NUIG Archery Club.
Beneficiaries of the programme: